How To Get Your Immigration Bond Money Back

September 02, 2019

Action Immigration

So you've paid a bond, an immigration bond.

You've spent a few weeks, months, years without it, and you're wondering when, if and how you can get it back.

If this sounds like your predicament, you probably know that when foreign nationals get detained by the U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement (the ICE), they are usually eligible for bail through a bond. They can then either choose to pay the bond money or get an "obliger" to pay it for them. 

Now, whichever of these you are, in most cases, you'll become entitled to a full bond refund. However, sometimes it might be withheld.

Let's explore those two scenarios!

When Are You Eligible to Get Your Bond Money Back?

If you've completed your due diligence, attended your hearings and been an all-round good "alien", congratulations, you are now eligible for a bond refund.

If you're the obliger in this scenario, don't worry, you're eligible for your refund. So long as the court proceedings are officially over and its decisions have been complied with, you have nothing to worry about.

However, keep in mind that you must wait until the very end of this process to get it back. And if a hearing has been missed or a condition has not been met, the ICE may deem the bond to have been breached, and permanently withhold the money from the obligor.

Eligible? Here's How You Go About It!

Once you are officially relieved of your obligations, the ICE should send you and the Debt Bond Management Centre a notification. This is Form I-391, a bond cancellation, allowing for the release of the money to you.

Now, for your next task you need to compile the following documents:

  1. The notice you've received from the ICE: Form I-391
  2. The original receipt from when you first paid the bond: I-305
  3. The bond contract: I-352

The third one isn't as important as the others, but you can add it if you have access to it. 

It is quite common for people to misplace their original receipt. If that's you, don't worry. All you need to do is acquire Form I-395 (Affidavit in Lieu of Lost Receipt of United States Immigration and Naturalization Service for Collateral Accepted as Security), and get it notarized.

This will act as a valid replacement for your original receipt.

Get Posting!

Your next step involves mailing the above three (or two) documents safely to the Debt Management Center. You can add a cover letter expressing your situation and the request for the bond money.

Be sure to post it to this address:

Debt Management Center
Attention: Bond Unit
P.O. Box 5000
Williston, VT 05495-5000

In case you experience any difficulty or have any bond-related questions, you can contact the center at 802-288-7600.

Dealing With Complications

The process of getting back your bond money is fairly simple, but complications are definitely not uncommon. You could lose your papers, get no response or encounter unhelpful officials. That's one of the reasons so many immigration bonds services exist.

So, if you, a friend or a loved one is having trouble with any part of the immigration bond process, feel free to get in touch for a FREE consultation!

Disclaimer - This is the website of ACTION Immigration Bonds & Insurance Services, Inc. Our postal address is 1133 SE 3rd Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 USA. Our toll free number is 1-800-940-8889. Each visitor to our website is assured that at no time will any of the information gathered here or by any other means be sold, distributed or otherwise given to any third party companies for any reason. Any information that we may collect is used solely by ACTION to improve our website, our services, product offerings and customer service. We do not make the email addresses, domain names or any other information of those who access our site available to any organizations not owned by ACTION Immigration Bonds & Insurance Services, Inc. Real testimonials used. Actor portrayal of customer used to protect their identity. REFERRAL COMMISSIONS ARE PAID ONLY TO PROPERLY LICENSED PROPERTY & CASUALTY AGENTS. NO COMMISSIONS ARE PAID TO AGENTS IN THE STATE OF UTAH.

Action Immigration Bonds and Insurance Services, Inc. charges a yearly management / maintenance premium of $245.00 and NO management premium in CA if case goes beyond 1 year.

© 2024. Action Immigration Bonds and Insurance Services, Inc.